Following a successful bid to extend the PRSP process in Malawi, the Malawi Economic Justice Network has appraised the process with a view to informing and improving the next stages. Their report concluded amongst other things that:
- Civil Society and Members of Parliament should be represented on the PRSP Technical Committee;
- a drafting committee should be formed made up of working group representatives, MPs, Civil Society Organisations and members of the Technical Committee;
- at least two national discussions of successive drafts should be held in advance of the final symposium, with documents circulated well in advance to ensure genuine participation;
- a full-time PRSP secretariat should be established in the Ministry of Finance;
- regular PRSP updates should continue to be given to the press to keep everyone informed;
- establish monitoring mechanisms involving Parliament and Civil Society to ensure that the proceeds of debt relief are spent on poverty reduction this year in advance of the full PRSP.
For a copy of the appraisal report and a full list of recommendations, email Malawi Economic Justice Network